Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pleasant is the Dawn ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:52 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It would be interesting to learn how the "users" of this form developed an interest in quotations. My interest in quotations sprouted in 1984. As it happened, I found a yearly/weekly/daily appointment/planning book that had a quotation for each day of the year. The book was filled with wit and wisdom. I soon became fasinated with the practicality of it. One of my closest friends (and fishing buddy) was a lawyer. (We had roomed together one quarter during college.) Prior to my finding the book, most of my wit and wisdom was gained from his vocabulary of classical quotations and original humor. I also began working as a Land Buyer in 1984. Since I was meeting with people who were often hostile the quotes often helped me to break the ice with people during initial contact.

The same year I discovered A Fine & Pleasant Misery, by Patrick McManus. I was so enchanted with the humor that I bought a copy for my fishing buddy. His wife told me that she had never heard him laugh out loud so much while reading (unitl I gave him the book). He would read a book from cover to cover almost every night. I could scarcely name a book that he had not read. Consequently my interest in extra curricular reading was cultivated as a result of his influence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I started collecting quotations when (also somewhere near 1984) I found a few I liked in Omni Magazine (the "Wired" of the 80s). Probably the first 50-100 quotes in my collection were from Omni, and probably 90% of them were misquoted. :)

An earlier influence were a couple of speakers' quotation books my parents had, "The Road Not Taken" and "The Road Less Travelled". (Those have been discussed here before, I think.) Those were probably my first exposure to quotations, I think I read them when I was about 12.

I also used to skim the "Reader's Digest" every month for quotations.

I vaguely remember a "Murphy's Law Calendar" long ago that had a few quotations that sparked my interest too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:05 pm 

The spark that lit the fire of my addiction was a simple search on the Internet for the origins of "all hell broke loose."
I was led to a website that had discussion forums much like this one, and posted my request for help to confirm that it was from Milton.
I was struck by the friendly comraderie and helpful nature of the regulars there, and I was hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:24 pm 

Although there was the charecter in the Dune series of books by Frank Herbert, I think his name was Gurney Halleck, and I always wanted to be able to entertain with a few notes and passages.

Also there was a daily quote in my school that always was designed to be motivational, and then once a week we would get a humorous one as well.

Actaully this site is probably my biggest reason for a passion for quotes. I think I can state that if I hadn't found this site while trying to help a friend with a report I doubt I would have the interest I have now.