Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 pm 

How much freedom do we each deserve? Let's say it was on a scale of 1-10. Do we deserve 5,8,9 or what? Let us say we all deserve the same. The problem we are not all the same. There would be a bully out there who wants yours. There would be a fool who sells his. Even if the world starts on a clean scale with all having equal freedom, the arms race would start again. Jack Handey (1949) said "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." It always ends up being the survival of the fittest. Competition, greed and naivety always creates that imbalance.

There will never be total freedom for free. That is economics for us.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:45 pm 

tiwiex wrote:
How much freedom do we each deserve? Let's say it was on a scale of 1-10. Do we deserve 5,8,9 or what? Let us say we all deserve the same. The problem we are not all the same. There would be a bully out there who wants yours. There would be a fool who sells his. Even if the world starts on a clean scale with all having equal freedom, the arms race would start again. Jack Handey (1949) said "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." It always ends up being the survival of the fittest. Competition, greed and naivety always creates that imbalance.

There will never be total freedom for free. That is economics for us.

:idea: You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 am 

The question is not whether freedom comes free or at a cheaper price, but it's whether there is a such thing as complete freedom? If you free yourself from one thing there's always something else restricting you. You "free" yourself from stress and worry but you are barred down by desire, longing and purpose and vise versa. So my question to you is this: Can one ever be truly "free" as it is defined, and still remain a thriving person? Maybe it's because we don't deserve freedom, is the reason that it's essentially unattainable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 am 

It's a complete paradox, to achieve freedom, we must prepare for war.

i think we, as humans, are scared of complete freedom..we need restrictions weather they are created by ourselves or by the law. Because without restrictions, what are we but animals?