Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: On the wall?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:57 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

What quote/quotes do you have on the wall in your office (or desk)?

My office is located in a 15 million dollar complex but I am confined to an 8' X 8' cubicle. There is a page from the daily calender of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People taped at eye level on the wall.

Visualizing something organizes one's ability to accomplish it.

There is also a 10"x 10" cardboard poster which reads (in bold white letters with blue background) BEAR AREA (no looking).

I also have a collection of different colored bottles to keep me company. There is a framed photograph of Premoniton (a 5-pound rainbow trout that I caught in Apri of 2001). I have a framed photo of my son (in his football uniform) and framed photo of my daughter (in her band uniform).

Post subject: Re: On the wall?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:26 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Phantom_Delta wrote:
What quote/quotes do you have on the wall in your office (or desk)?

"When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school
It's a wonder I can think at all
Though my lack of education hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall"
— Paul Simon

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Great thread idea, Phantom, and I love yours, Lou -- a favorite song of mine, and the veracity of those lyrics has been proven over time . . .

On the blue cloth cubicle walls of my office:

"To set up what you like against what you dislike--this is the disease of the mind." --Seng T'San

"This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God . . . " -- Walt Whitman

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so." -- Shakespeare

"As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you." -- Morihei Ueshiba, The Art of Peace

Also, a great Goethe quotation way too cool to try to recite from memory; the story about The Wolves Within from the old quotations page forum; the eightfold path, tons of Dilbert cartoons, and a great Dean Acheson quotation, something to the effect of "How we endure is more important than the thing we endure." The last one is also a favorite of our Tech Services personnel, who never fail to point it out to me when they come to fix yet another impossible thing that can't happen to a computer on a "network," which I believe is more appropriately termed "anti-work."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:33 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

There is a remark about work (that I had read).

"No one ever laid on their death bed wishing they had spent more time in the office."

--I can't recall the author but I read this line in a book, How To Take a Year Off Work. I aim to post it "On the Wall."

I too have also used parts of the same song by Paul Simon, Kodachrome.
"MAMA DON'T TAKE MY KODACHROME AWAY!" I have a collection of Buffalo River Photos, (most of which feature beautiful women in swimsuites) that I have to guard from my spouse. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't know if it's original, but I first read that line "No one on their deathbed ever wished they'd spent more time at the office" in that early '90s best seller, Father's Little Instruction Book.

I think it's a great line, and often have to remind myself of it when I take work too seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I would have to agree with Luna that the statment about work is a "wall hanger." When I was inducted into sales there was a poster on the wall in our district office.

"Every job is a self portrait of the person who painted it."

Another statment that I often heard ...

"There are two types of salesmen, those who make excuses and those who make ways."

I especially enjoy seeing quotations on the walls at establishments that serve alchohic beverages but I am having trouble recalling any of them. There was one at the Water Hole in Jackson, Tennessee. The Waterhole has changed names. The quotation was something said by Trapper John about drinking. It said something to the effect of knowing when one should drink and when one should quit.

The most memorable quotation about drinking that I can recall went something like this.

I only drink on two occasions. #1, When I am alone. #2, When I am with someone.

My personal philospophy about bars? "I enjoy going to bars on three occasions. #1, When the weather is real hot. #2, When the weather is real, real cold. #3, When it is raining. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Here's one about drinking that hits home with me: One drink is too many, and a million is not enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:32 pm 

I saw this one above the cash register in a bar that served food:
"The name of the manager of this establishment is Helen Waite.
If you have a complaint about the service,
GO TO HELEN WAITE"

At my first career job, my boss put this one on the wall:
"None of us is as smart as all of us."

Saw this one at a rental car counter in LaCrosse, Wis.:
"Things work out for the best for those people that make the best of the way things work out."

And then there is this one, one of my favorite quotes of all:
"Honor and shame from no condition rise;
Act well your part, there all honor lies."

~Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man

...a friend once wrote to Senator Paul Tsongas when the senator had decided not to run for reelection because he'd been diagnosed with cancer: "No man ever said on his deathbed I wish I had spent more time at the office."
~from A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen
http://doi.contentdirections.com/market ... cerpt.html

Cliché: "No man on his deathbed ever said, 'I wish I'd spent more time at the office.'" (Sen. Paul Tsongas)
Comment: "[How does Tsongas] know that no one ever said, for example, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office and less time in prison'?"
~Al Franken
http://www.gignews.com/devlife/june02.htm

"As a Fire Fighter/Paramedic, I never once heard anyone at their final moments in life say things like, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office,' or 'I wish I had more money.' These things simply did not seem important at the time."
~ R. Jeffery Maxfield, Simple Wisdom: Game Plans for Joyful Living

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:30 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

During the spring break of 1977 (when I was a sophomore in college) I went to a music store to buy a guitar. Since my Income Tax Refund had reached my pocket I was in a posture to negotiate. Right before I settled on a price for the Yamaha F-G 160 accustical guitar I noticed a sign on the wall. It said: " Credit? Go to the 13th floor!" I had almost opened my mouth to ask for credit when I realized that the building was only two stories high.

I gave the guy a check that wouldn't bounce and bought that Yamaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:49 pm 

I liked the Yamaha story.
I just realized a good quote for any wall would be:
"Tear down this wall!"
~Ronald Reagan, referring, of course, to the Berlin Wall.
But what the heck, it could have been any wall....

Why are builders afraid to have a 13th floor but book publishers aren't afraid to have a Chapter 11?
http://home.dogomania.com/Dunvegan/Flab ... Jokes.html
in a pizza joint:
"We made a deal with the bank - they don't make pizzas and we don't cash checks."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:33 am 

I put a few above my desk, but I change them frequently because they generate conversation from those passing by. It depends on my mood and if I feel confrontational, hilarious or thoughtful on that day:

~Currently posted:

If you understand, things are just as they are; if you don't understand, things are just as they are~Zen Saying

This too shall pass!

~Some Previous postings:

Furious activity is no substitute for understanding.

To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Paranoids are the people who've just discovered what's going on. :D

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?

One not posted, but one I like when things go awry:

I once asked a Jesuit priest what was the best short prayer he knew. He said, 'F**k it,' as in 'F**k it; it's in God's hands!'~Anthony Hopkins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:40 am 

What a nice forum for quote-aholics! I recently moved offices, and became mindful of the dozen or so envelope backs, post- its, and other dog-earred scraps of paper on which I have scribbled down quotes, ideas, and snippets that I have run across that give me pause or inspiration or a chuckle. A few I found to be push-pin worthy:

"Never confuse being successful with being useful"

"Until Lions have their historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter"

"I get up every morning determined both to change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes plannnig the day difficult"
E.B. White

And a toast:

May those that love us, Love us
And those that don’t Love Us,
May God turn their hearts
And if He doesn’t turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles
So we Know them by their limping.

:wink:

Post subject: Time to think
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:14 am 

Quote:

This is a really neat quote that I had on my wall once. just think about this one :roll: :idea: :arrow: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" ...Can anyone quess who said that one?
:lol: :D

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Erica Jong :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:16 am 

"The problem in my life, and as I see it in other people's lives, is not the absence of knowing what to do, but the absence of doing it."

Peter F. Drucker

"There is no spoon".

Neo in The Matrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:57 pm 

Awwwww! Very good Diemdee! I like it!

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Erica Jong :!: