Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Heat Wave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Since we're all suffering from it, how about quotations about the heat? Bring out your Faulkner, O'Connor, Tennesse Williams . . .

Post subject: Quotations about heat...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:06 pm 

...and you couldn't even come up with one to get the ball rolling?

The differential equations of the propagation of heat express the most general conditions, and reduce the physical questions to problems of pure analysis, and this is the proper object of theory.
~ Joseph Fourier, Analytical Theory of Heat
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~histor ... urier.html

Heat, like gravity, penetrates every substance of the universe, its rays occupy all parts of space. The object of our work is to set forth the mathematical laws which this element obeys. The theory of heat will hereafter form one of the most important branches of general physics.
~ Joseph Fourier, Analytical Theory of Heat

Adlai Stevenson said "When I feel the heat, I see the light." We must apply a rude and relentless heat to planners and engineers, slumbering in the dimcomfort of their profession.
~Andres Duany

"This is July of the bountiful heat,
Month of wild roses, and berries, and wheat."
~Albert D. Watson, "July," 1917.

"Pity the poor creatures in warmer countries where the seasons never change, where summer is eternal and they never know the pain of waiting and the joy at last when summer comes."
~Ray Guy, humorist, "Catching Connors," That Far Greater Bay, 1976.

"The hound of the autumn wind is slow; he loves to bask in the heat and sleep."
~Peter MacArthur, "An Indian Wind Song," 1907

"A country of dry frost in winter, and of fruitful heat in summer, with numerous delightful climates in between — this is the rising nation, Canada."
~Wilfrid Campbell, Canada, 1907.

Give me a harsh land to wring music from,
brown hills, and dust, with dead grass
straw to my bricks.
Give me words that are cutting-harsh
as wattle-bird notes in dusty gums
crying at noon.
Give me a harsh land, a land that
swings, like heart and blood,
from heat to mist.
Give me a land that like my heart
scorches its flowers of spring,
then floods upon its summer ardour.
Give me a land where rain
is rain that would beat high heads low.
Where wind howls at the windows
and patters dust on tin roofs
while it hides the summer sun
in a mud-red shirt.
Give my words sun and rain,
desert and heat and mist,
spring flowers, and dead grass,
blue sea and dusty sky,
song-birds and harsh cries,
strength and austerity
that this land has.
~ Ian Mudie [1911-1976]: This Land
The New Oxford Book of Australian Verse

The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26, "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days." Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that.... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation, i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation, (H/E) temperature of the earth (-300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed.... [However] Revelations 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving...shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C.
~From Applied Optics, vol. 11, A14, 1972

There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.
~Richard Davisson

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
~Harry S. Truman
http://www.xrefer.com/entry/198412

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:47 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I had good intentions . . . the Internet isn't panning out for me on this one. and after flipping through a few books last night without turning anything up, I lost interest. I'll try my luck again later.

And of course, the heat's affecting my brain. The air is pure steam here; stepping out your door is like stepping into a sauna.

However, I can think of the best visual images of heat in a movie: Body Heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:34 am 

I hope my remark was taken as just a playful jab.
Body Heat was a great film, and it was Kasdan's directorial debut. It took some searching, but I finally found my favorite quotes from the film:

Ned Racine: Me, I need tending. Someone to take care of me. Someone to rub my tired muscles, smooth out my sheets.
Matty Walker: Get married.
Ned Racine: I just need it for tonight.
~ Body Heat (1981)

Ned Racine: Keep talking Matty, experience has shown that I can be convinced of anything
~Body Heat (1981)

A couple of remarks about Mark S. Blumberg's book - Body Heat

This is an engaging enchilada of a book, wrapping up cold feet, a warm heart, hot sex, and chili peppers, for easy digestion by the general science consumer. Delicious!
~Bernd Heinrich, University of Vermont, and author of The Hot-Blooded Insects: Strategies and Mechanisms of Thermoregulation

Whether you're a polar bear giving birth to cubs in an Arctic winter, a camel going days without water in the desert heat, or merely a suburbanite without air conditioning in a heat wave, your comfort and even survival depend on how well you adapt to extreme temperatures.
~Publisher
http://www.2think.org/bodyheat.shtml

MULDER: I was told once that the best way to regenerate body heat was to crawl naked into a sleeping bag with somebody else who's already naked.
SCULLY: Well, maybe if it rains sleeping bags, you'll get lucky.
~The X-Files

It Was So Hot, We Had To Take Our Clothes Off
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2000 ... ture2.html

What unlikely things we are, of course, with our voluntary locomotions, and our body heat which keeps our fat from congealing until death! - and how natural the inevitable downward course! (For it seems a wonder that our fleshly contraptions can endure an hour). - How natural, then, the Zombie.
~William T. Vollmann, "The Blue Yonder"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

WARNING! WARNING! Off-color weather humor from Good Morning, Vietnam!

Lt. Steven Hauk: First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Becaue it's not. In fact, it's two degrees cooler today than yesterday.

Adrian Cronauer: Two degrees cooler? And me without my muff!

Cronauer: Now, here's the weather, we're going to go right to Roosevelt
E. Roosevelt. Roosevelt, how's it goin'?

Funny voice: Adrian, I'm with somebody! Don't ever come here and bother me right now!

Cronauer: Well thanks, Roosevelt. Can't you give us a little weather?

Funny voice: Not now, man! I'm on the balcony, man, I'm tryin' to score! Back off!!

Cronauer: Well, what's the weather like?

Funny voice: You got a window? OPEN IT!

Cronauer: Thank you, Roosevelt! We'll just have to go to someone else for the weather. I guess we'll have to go all the way to Washington, Weather Central, with Walter Cronkite. Walter, what's the weather like?

Fake Walter Cronkite voice: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt...what it is, what it shall be, what it was. Weather out there today is hot and shitty, with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow, a chance of continued crappy weather, pissy weather, front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass.....

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

God is the anvil, beating out the sun;
Where the molten metal spills,
At his forge among the hills
He has hammered out the glory of a day thats done.

--Lew Sarett, God is the Anvil
------------------------------------

"It was hotter than the hobbs of hell ..."

Robert Olmstead, River Dogs