Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Rugby quote
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:23 am 

Please help! My boyfriend, who happens to write for a rugby magazine and I have a disagreement.
Quote:
Rugby is a sport/game for holligans played by gentlemen, whereas soccar is a sport/game for gentlemen played by hooligans

I have always thought this was the case as although rugby is a contact sport, it was first played in British Public Schools (which are in fact private) and the sense of fair play shown by rugby players labled them as gentlemen.

However HE says it is the other way round, the rugby is the sport for gents played by hooligans.........who is right???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:43 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

As a genral rule, women are always right. :mrgreen:

I have played a few games of soccer but I thought it required too much running. Never have I played a game of Rugby. Football is the sport that I am most familar with.
--------------

"When playing defense, there is no rule as to how hard you hit your opponent."
--Neil Haynes, Defensive Coach for the Huntingdon Mustangs, 1971-1974
--------------

"Football is blocking and tackling. That is all it is and all it will ever be." 1

"There is not much difference in the amount of work that goes into a winning team and loosing team." 2

"IS THAT AS HARD AS YOU CAN HIT! That lick wouldn't crack an egg!" 3

Paul Ward, Head Coach of the Huntingdon Mustangs. 1963-1975.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:34 pm 

This is how it goes (take this citing for what it is worth, this is one of those "once said" thingys that I don't spend too much time on) :

Kipling, it is reported, once said, when asked his opinion of Soccer as opposed to Rugger, "Soccer is a game for Gentlemen played by Hooligans, and Rugger is a game for Hooligans played by Gentlemen."
http://www.telfordrfc.co.uk/history.htm

mostly found as:
"Soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."
~unknown, "Old English Saying," bumper sticker, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:08 pm 

About time you got a Limey's input on this one, not least since we invented both bloody games (much good it did us! ...)

Nostromo's citation is, as always, spot on. To understand the significance of the quote you have to understand The Class System as it is, still alive and well and living in God's Own Country.

The story goes that footie (or "soccer", as you chaps would have it) came into being in the late Middle Ages, as a harmless diversion for the proletariat to punt around a pig's bladder. In the mid-Nineteeth century, I believe, some wally at one of the most prestigious Public (i.e. private) Schools in England, Rugby by name, picked up the ball and ran with it. Thus was rugger (to give it it's proper name) born.

Ironic in the extreme, it remains one of the most revealing insights into the national psyche (talk to Bill Bryson if you don't believe me) ...

Goodness how I love this country of ours, this Sceptred Isle, this jewel set in .... was Jerusalem founded here .......

Brittania Rules, OK?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:48 pm 

In which bar in Arkansas can I watch the semifinal of the rugby world cup between France and England? I am originally from France but is studying in Conway, AR. I am trying to find a place where I can find the semifinal of the rugby world cup. I called a few places but none will be playing the games because you have to buy the rugby world cup package.
Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:00 am 

How would you inspire the England Rugby Team to victory ? What piece of music would you play to the England Rugby Team to inspire them prior to the game with France ?

Post subject: Re: Rugby quote
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I would side with you but other than that it's just your opinion at the end of the quote. Judge not someone based on how you feel but by their actions.... :idea: