Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:14 pm 

in the movie finding forrester, william forrester(played by sean connery) says something like (not for sure that all the words are correct) :
"some people don't go after their dreams because they fear failure, others because they fear success."

who originally said this quote? i need to find it. thanks! [size=18][/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:24 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

This quotation would have been better suited in the "Who Said That?" Forum.

Anyways. A really great film there, Your the first person that I've met that has seen the film! Now...about the quotation:

There are several different versions of the quotation that you have suggested:

Fear comes in two packages fear of failure, and sometimes, fear of success.
Tom Kite (1949 - ____) US golfer
In "The Golfer's Book of Wisdom," ed. by Criswell Freeman, 1995.
http://creativequotations.com/one/882.htm

As strange as it sounds, many people do fear success. This fear holds them back from achieving their goals and dreams. It may sound more reasonable to fear failure, and not to fear success.
http://www.mentalgamecoach.com/articles ... e1_02.html

I fear success and failure from the North Shore experience. The reasons for fearing failure are obvious
http://www.100megsfree4.com/blahthings/ ... nov13.html

Here are some more quotations from the movie....just in case you are interested:

Memorable Quotes from
Finding Forrester (2000)

Page 14 of 35

Forrester: Bolt the door, if you're coming in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jamal: Women will sleep with you if you write a book?
Forrester: Women will sleep with you if you write a bad book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forrester: What you write in this apartment stays in this apartment.

Forrester: The key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time.

Forrester: You're the man now, dog!

Jamal: I came back to see, if you could help me out with my writing.
Forrester: Here's one: 5,000 words on why you'll stay the f--- out of my home.

Forrester: In some cultures it's good luck to be wearing something inside-out.
Jamal: And you believe that?
Forrester: No, but it's like praying: what do you risk?

Jamal: Don't forget to write.

Forrester: No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!

Jamal: "The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow." You wrote that in your book.

Jamal: That's not exactly a soup question, now is it?

Forrester: My name's William Forrester.
[points to 'writers wall of fame' pictures]
Forrester: I'm that one up there.

Jamal: I'll take poor assumptions for $800, Alex.

Jamal: Man, f--- you William. You wanna know what the real bullshit is? How about you let me take it on this one cause you're too damn scared to walk out that door and do something for somebody else. You're too damn scared, man! That's the only damn reason.
Forrester: You don't know sh-- about reason; reasons why some of us live and why some of us don't! Well, fortunately for you you have decades to figure that out.
Jamal: Yeah, and what's the reason in having a file cabinet full of writing and keeping the sh-- locked so nobody can read it? What is that man? I'm through with this sh--.

Forrester: I am going back to my homeland that I have not been to in awhile.
Jamal: Ireland, right?
Forrester: Scotland, for God's sakes!
Jamal: I know, I am just messing with you.