Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: just wondering
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi!
I just wanted to hear some of your favorite quotes.

By the way, does anyone have any for a best friends birthday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:22 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Heya perfectionist, nice to see you on quotationspage.com forum aswell!!

Quotations on birthdays:

"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese."
~ Billie Burke

"Turning one hundred was the worst birthday of my life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Turning 101 was not so bad. Once you're past that century mark, it's just not as shocking."
~ Annie Elizabeth Delany (1891 - 1995),1993.

"For all the advances in medicine, there is still no cure for the common birthday."
~ John Glenn

"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age."
~ Robert Frost

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been."
~ Mark Twain, Following the Equator (Mark Twain Quotations)

"No one can avoid aging, but aging productively is something else."
~ Katharine Graham (Sperience.com)

"At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; at 40 the judgement."
~ Ben Franklin (Kerry DeGood's Age Quotations)

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent--that is to triumph over old age."
~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich (Annebelle's Quotation Guide)

"Age, if nothing else, entitles me to set the record straight before I dissolve. I've given my memoirs far more thought than any of my marriages. You can't divorce a book."
~ Gloria Swanson (Cyber Story)

"A woman's always younger than a man of equal years."
~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh (Quoteland)

"I promise to keep on living as though I expected to live forever. Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul."
~ Douglas MacArthur (Sperience.com)

"It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty."
~ George Burns (Cyber Story)

"First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull your zipper up, and then you forget to pull your zipper down."
~ Leo Rosenberg (Kerry DeGood's Age Quotations)

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty, the youth of old age."
~ Victor Hugo (Creative Quotations)

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
~ Mark Twain, Autobiography with Letters, Phelps (Mark Twain Quotations)

"Middle age: when you're sitting at home on Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you."
~ Odgen Nash (Quotation Corner)

"Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill."

"The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."
~ Lucille Ball

"Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools.
~ George Chapman, c.1559-1634

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been."
~ Mark Twain

"To me, old age is fifteen years older than I am."
~ Bernard M. Baruch

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent--that is to triumph over old age."
~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"I promise to keep on living as though I expected to live forever. Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul."
~ Douglas MacArthur

"Adolescence is a kind of emotional seasickness. Both are funny, but only in retrospect."
~ Arthur Koestler, British writer (1905-1983)

"There is no cure for birth and death, save to enjoy the interval."
~ George Santayana

"Forty is the old age of youth; fifty, the youth of old age."
~ Victor Hugo

"When you are younger you get blamed for crimes you never committed and when you are older you begin to get credit for virtues you never possessed. It evens itself out."
~ I.F. Stone

"The youth gets together his materials to build a bridge to the moon, or, perchance, a palace or temple on the earth, and, at length, the middle-aged man concludes to build a woodshed with them."
~ Henry David Thoreau

"My grandmother is over 80 and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle."
~Henny Youngman

"You've reached old age when the gleam in your eye is just the sun in your bifocals."
~ Henny Youngman

"The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it."
~ Jean Paul

"Don't just count your years, make your years count."
~ Ernest Meyers

"By the time you're eighty years old you've learned everything. You only have to remember it."
~ George Burns

"Middle age is when a guy keeps turning off lights for economical rather than romantic reasons."
~ Eli Cass

"Study until twenty five, investigate until forty, profession until sixty, at which age I would have him retired on a double allowance."
~ Sir William Osler

"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety."
~ Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra, Act II scene 2

"No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving a mark on it forever."
~ Matt Buttram

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."
~ Author Unknown

"An actress always knows when she's hit it and mostly you haven't; but once or twice I think I hit it right, so maybe that's good enough for one life."
~ Helen Hayes (1900 - 1993),
Statement on departing Hollywood in 1934, recalled on her 1984.th birthday, London "Times," 19 Dec 1984.

"No one feels well after his fortieth birthday/ But the convalescence is touched by glory ..."
~ Peter Porter (1918 - ____) US golfer
"Returning" in English Subtitles, 1981.

"Oh to be seventy again."
~ Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929) French statesman, On passing a pretty girl on the Champs Elysees on his eightieth birthday; in "Ego," 9 Apr 1938.

"People are always asking me when I'm going to retire. Why should I? I've got it two ways -- I'm still making movies, and I'm a senior citizen, so I can see myself at half price."
~ George Burns (1896 - 1996) US comedian, actor
CBS TV 'George Burns's 95th Birthday Party'

"Turning one hundred was the worst birthday of my life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Turning 101 was not so bad. Once you're past that century mark, it's just not as shocking."
~ Annie Elizabeth Delany (1891 - 1995) US dentist
"Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years," 1993.

"What's the point? My face, shall we say, looks lived in."
~ Ava Gardner (1922 - 1990) US actress

"Young man, the secret of my success is that an early age I discovered that I was not God."
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841 - 1935) US

"Real birthdays are not annual affairs. Real birthdays are the days when we have a new birth."
~ Ralph Parlette

"Birth may be a matter of a moment, but it is a unique one."
~ Frederick Leboyer

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting;
The soul that rises with us, our life's star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar;
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come from
God, who is our home."
~ William Wordsworth

"At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; at 40 the judgement."
~ Ben Franklin

~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich

"A woman's always younger than a man of equal years."
~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh

"It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty."
~ George Burns

"First you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull your zipper up, and then you forget to pull your zipper down."
~ Leo Rosenberg

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
~ Mark Twain, Autobiography with Letters, Phelps

"Middle age: when you're sitting at home on Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn't for you."
~ Odgen Nash

"A beautiful lady is an accident of nature. A beautiful old lady is a work of art."
~ Louis Nizer

"The young always have the same problem-- how to rebel and conform at the same time. They have now solved this by defying their parents and copying one another."
~ Quentin Crisp

"Father Time is not always a hard parent, and, though he tarries for none of his children, often lays his hand lightly upon those who have used him well; making them old men and women inexorably enough, but leaving their hearts and spirits young and in full vigour. With such people the grey head is but the impression of the old fellow's hand in giving them his blessing, and every wrinkle but a notch in the quiet calendar of a well-spent life."
~ Charles Dickens

"By the time we hit fifty, we have learned our hardest lessons. We have found out that only a few things are really important. We have learned to take life seriously, but never ourselves."
~ Marie Dressler

"I don't believe one grows older. I think that what happens early on in life is that at a certain age one stands still and stagnates."
~ T. S. Eliot

"If youth but knew; if age but could."
~ Henri Estienne

"It's not that age brings childhood back again,
Age merely shows what children we remain."
~ Goethe

"Old age, believe me, is a good and pleasant thing. It is true you are gently shouldered off the stage, but then you are given such a comfortable front stall as spectator."
~ Jane Harrison

"Old age equalizes--we are aware that what is happening to us has happened to untold numbers from the beginning of time. When we are young we act as if we were the first young people in the world."
~ Eric Hoffer

"When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age."
~ Victor Hugo

"Age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress,
And as the evening twilight fades away
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day."
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"An old man loved is winter with flowers."
~ German Proverb

"I don’t jog because I can’t run flat-footed. And at 60 years old you’re crazy to be out there running."
~ Jesse Owens

"There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle."
~ Proverb

"There was a star danced, and under that was I born."
~ Shakespeare

"There is still no cure for the common birthday."
~ John Glenn

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."
~ Chili Davis

"Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children."
~ George Bernard Shaw

Some websites with birthday quotes:
http://www.birthdaycelebrations.net/birthdayquotes.htm
http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/cd/axelrad/quotes.html
http://www.yantram.com/Greetings/birthdayquotes.htm

Time is nature's way of keeping everything except for birthday parties from happening at once.

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

I'd stop eating chocolate cake at birthday parties, but I'm no quitter.

I know only two tunes: one of them is "Happy Birthday TO You" and the other one isn't.

It is good to seek the company of others. Otherwise, how could you have a birthday party?

can't tell you his age, but when he was born the wonder drug was Mercurochrome. ~ Milton Berle

You can live to be a hundred, if you give up all the things that make you want to live to a hundred. ~ Woody Allen

Looking fifty is great -- if you're sixty. ~ Joan Rivers

The age of some women is like the speedometer of a used car -- you know it's set back, but you don't know how far. ~ Unknown

After thirty, a body has a mind of its own. ~ Bette Midler

At eighty-eight how do you feel when getting up in the morning?. . . Amazed. ~ Ludwig von Mises

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoes and wonder what else you cna do while you're down there. ~ George Burns

The years between fifty and seventy are the hardest. You are always asked to do things, and you are not yet decrepit enough to turn them down. ~ T.S. Eliot

Actually, being sixty-five isn't so bad. As a matter of fact I rather like being called a sexagenarian. At this time of life it sounds like flattery. ~ Jame Humes

The secret to longevity is to keep breathing. ~ Sophie Tucker

To what do you attribute your advanced age? Well, I suppose I must attribute it to the fact that I have not died. ~ Sir Malcom Sargent

Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you are aboard there is nothing you can do. ~ Golda Meir

When people tell you how young you look, they are also telling you how old you are. ~ Cary Grant

There is still no cure for the common birthday. ~John Glenn

We know we're getting old when the only thing we want for our birthday is not to be reminded of it. ~Author Unknown

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ~Chili Davis

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip. ~Author Unknown

Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair. ~Sam Ewing

Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children. ~George Bernard Shaw

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left. ~Jerry M. Wright

When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it. ~Mark Twain

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely. ~Author Unknown

Middle age is the time when a man is always thinking that in a week or two he will feel as good as ever. ~Don Marquis

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act. ~Truman Capote

Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle. ~Bob Hope

First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to zip up your fly; and then you forget to unzip your fly. ~Branch Rickey

Youth is a disease from which we all recover. ~Dorothy Fulheim

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life. ~Herbert Asquith

You're not 40, you're eighteen with 22 years experience. ~Author Unknown

I still have a full deck; I just shuffle slower now. ~Author Unknown

Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. ~Tom Wilson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:wink:
Thank you sssoooooo much!!!! These are great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:06 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

My advice is to choose a quotation about your friend's favorite avocation. If he or she likes to play chess then send him or her a quote about playing chess. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Smart idea!!!! She likes basket ball & flirting the most. :wink: