Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Needed: Magic Quotes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:37 pm 

No, I don't mean quotes that appear out of thin air :wink:

Acutally I'm looking for quotes that deal with magic, for example:

The hand it quicker than the eye. (Though I don't know the origin of that. Hehe)

This is for a school project so the quicker the better. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Rose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:39 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam - Unknown

Quotations about magic:

"The best magic always results from ecstasies of logic." ~ Alban Berg

Sometimes I think creativity is magic; it's not a matter of finding an idea, but allowing the idea to find you." ~ Maya Lin

I don't stretch my hand out anymore, but I never get tired of waiting for the next magic. ~ Marlon Brando

Software is the magic thing whose importance only goes up over time. ~ Bill Gates

We wait all these years to find someone who understands us, I thought, someone who accepts us as we are, someone with a wizard's power to melt stone to sunlight, who can bring us happiness in spite of trials, who can face our dragons in the night, who can transform us into the soul we choose to be. Just yesterday I found that magical Someone is the face we see in the mirror: It's us and our homemade masks." ~ Richard Bach

A work of art is one of mystery, the one extreme magic; everything else is either arithmetic or biology. ~ Truman Capote

All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive, enlightening, familiar and surprising. ~ Joseph Conrad

Men are good but women are magic. ~ Catherine Deneuve

God is a scientist, not a magician. ~ Albert Einstein

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. ~ John Adams

I am so happy to be communicating with people on this newest of new wavelengths which to some older people must seem like a kind of magic. ~ Doris Lessing

Whatever you do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. ~ Johann von Goethe

We need magic, and bliss, and power, myth, and celebration and religion in our lives, and music is a good way to encapsulate a lot of it. ~ Jerry Garcia

All that mankind has done, thought, gained, or been: it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books. ~ Thomas Carlyle

A river seems a magic thing. A magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself. ~ Laura Gilpin

It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see. The writer shakes up the familiar scene, and as if by magic, we see a new meaning in it. ~ Anais Nin

Life is magic, the way nature works seems to be quite magical. ~ Jonas Salk

My whole life had been spent waiting for an epiphany, a manifestation of God's presence, the kind of transcendent, magical experience that lets you see your place in the big picture. And that is what I had with my first compost heap. ~ Bette Midler
http://www.dailycelebrations.com/magic.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:16 am 

Quotes about magic :

"True magic exists only in the ability to tell fantasy from reality."
-- John Muir

"Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to slice roast beef"
--Tom Robbins

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
-- Eden Phillpots

Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.
-- Margot Fonteyn

"Charmed magic casements opening on the foam
Of perilous seas in faerie lands forlorn"
-- Keats, Ode to a Nightingale

Magic Magic do as you will.
-- Schmendric the great

"You might say that magic is the world's second-oldest profession."
-- Harry Blackstone Jr.

Magic is the art of deliberately believing and pretending very hard and finding that it works. Highly improbable things can be done by those who are prepared to experiment with the belief that they are not quite so
improbable.
-- Pete Carroll, 'Principia Chaotica'

There are two schools of thought in magic. One considers the formative agent of the universe to be random and chaotic, and the other considers
that it is a force of spiritual consciousness. As they have only themselves on which to base their speculations, they are basically saying that their own natures are either random and chaotic or spiritually conscious.
-- Pete Carroll, 'Principia Chaotica'

I had always vaguely felt facts to be miracles in the sense that they are wonderful: now I began to think them miracles in the stricter sense that they were _wilful_. I mean that they were, or might be, repeated exercises of some will. In short, I had always believed that the world involved magic: now I thought that perhaps it involved a magician.
-- G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Oh, grown-ups cannot understand,
And grown-ups never will,
How short the way to fairyland
Across the purple hill.

-- Alfred Noyes

There are those who claim that magic is like the tide; that it swells and
fades over the surface of the earth, collecting in concentrated pools here and there, almost disappearing from other spots, leaving them parched for wonder. There are also those who believe that if you stick your fingers up your nose and blow, it will increase your intelligence.
-- "The Teachings of Ebenezum, Volume VII"

... and here's the one you quoted, luckygirl :

"There's no doubt that the hand is quicker than the eye in the world of magic, so in the equally intangible world of ideas, let's give the eye a hand by dreaming up a good visual to sell the idea."
-- Louis A. Magnanai

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.