Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "Very long quotes"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:08 pm 

Please help me find some sites with "very long quotes", like some collections of best fragments of literature (scenes, acts, pages, or anything that's not slogan-sized). I just want to enjoy some top "moments" without having to always read or parse the whole thing first.

I'm not even sure the word "quote" is the proper (search) term. It finds only sites with incredibly wise one-liners, one-paragraphers, and punchlines; nothing that I can rest on. So, alternatively, some proper technical (search) terms may help a lot.

Thank you very much! :)

Post subject: Re: "Very long quotes"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The most you might get is the poems from the bible. It is really true and great. (job, psalm, proverb, ecclesiastes and song of solomon). Hope i helped.. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:05 pm 

All right, that was unexpected. Except for the Bible.

Also, I prefer no essentially scientific/religious literature (e.g. Dante and Dostoyevsky do not qualify as religious, most of the Church Fathers do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Perhaps a start would be to use "synopsis" , "summary" or "precis " in your searches on google.

eg synopsis Morte d'Arthur, precis Hamlet , summary The Tempest etc

You may get some quotes in these short versions which you could use to pick out particular moments for yourself and at least you'd get some idea of the story which may encourage you to enjoy the whole book.