It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: no comprendo
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:28 am 

could someone explain this quote?

"I have three treasures. Guard and keep them:
The first is deep love,
The second is frugality,
And the third is not to dare to be ahead of the world.
Because of deep love, one is courageous.
Because of frugality, one is generous.
Because of not daring to be ahead of the world, one becomes the leader of the world."
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Post subject: the Tao
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:41 am 

Well, you can go to the Wandering Daoist Web ring.
The Dao or Tao is the Way. The Way of nature, of Way of life, the path to follow. try looking here at this web site:
http://www.his.com/~merkin/DaoBrief.html

"Water benefits everything and yet exerts no effort.
Water finds the lowest places, shunned by all.
In this water is the closest to the Great Way."
http://www.his.com/~merkin/daoGloss.html#dao

I can give you only partial explanations of what you quoted:
Strong or deep love gives us the courage to raise children, to suffer for them and to make their life better. Another point, if we see someone in peril, do we not try to save them at the expense of our lives. That is an expression of deep love.

Frugality. The author is saying:
Because I do not covet material possessions, because I have not spent my wealth foolishly or selfishly, I can give it to those who need more. I can be generous with the rest of the world. Isn't it better to live simply and share the rest of your wealth or materials with others? The Christian conception of this is contained in the thought of the folly of gaining the whole world and losing your soul. That's quite a rough comparison, though. It's too western. You can be generous with time, compassion, patience, understanding. The non-material wealth that brings true happiness.

Not daring to lead. (very hard to explain)
a) On the most obvious level - - - because I am not a fashion plate, wearing the latest silks and bright, shiny baubles, Because I don't lead the world of fashion, I can see the more important things in life, not the fashions, not the glitter. I lead by what I do and I do not attract attention to myself.
b) Remember that water can't be destroyed and yet it turns mountains into sand. It doesn't lead. It follows.
c) Lao Tzu points out the value of inaction (restraint, patience, silence) and nothingness (frugality, simplicity) rather than the value of action and things. You can lead just as well by inaction and simplicity.

I hope this helped.
Dave