Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:38 pm 

I don't recall if I saw in in Peter's Quotations (collection of quotes compiled by Laurence J Peter), or if it was in a newspaper or magazine a long time ago, but there is a quote I have often shown to people that was about one long paragraph, berating the decline in ethics and morality (don't recall if it was in youth or the population in general). I showed it to people because on the surface it sounded much like what older generations always say about the younger ones. Then I would ask them to turn over the paper to see the source. They were very surprised to find that they may have identified with a quote from Adolph Hitler in 1936 or so. I always thought it was useful to make sure we did not get hung up on stereotypical views and comments, because it would make some realize that there is a danger that may accompany a leap in bias or oversimplification. I hoped it would be a reminder along the lines of the warning (source unknown to me): "Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it." (or words to that effect)
Unfortunately, I have obviously put the papers that I labeled "humor" in a very safe place, and can't find them myself. If anyone is familiar with this quote, I would greatly appreciate getting it so I can make sure I don't lose it again.