Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 pm 

Hello everyone,
I'm an outdoor educator and I take kids ages 8-15 on backpacking and rockclimbing trips all over the south east. I'm trying to get my hands on some quotes and/or short articles to read to the kids to make them think and and help them develop their own perspectives when it comes to the back country.
Anything that anyone contributes is appreciated but try to keep it kid-friendly (e.g. no 6-syllable olde english words).

Thanks,
Jake :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Go scrounge through Edward Abbey or Aldo Leopold, they're tough reading in and of themselves, but they will give you some amazing quotes that really tend to click with kids. Also go with Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax"; always a classic. I'll keep thinking and see if I remember anything else (or more specific), in the mean time I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:56 pm 

Thanks for the post. The Lorax is great.

Keep 'em comin :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Man is strange-give me the sky and open field any day - From Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pitty, you will have men who will deal likewise with his fellow men ~ St. Francis

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated ~ Gandhi

What would the world be, once barefit of wet and wildness? Let them be left, oh let htem be left, wildness and wet; long live the weeds and the wilderness yet. ~ Gerald Manely Hopkins

Wilderness is a necessity...not only as fountains of timber, and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life ~ John Muir

I am well again, into life in the cool winds and crystal waters of the mountains ~ John Muir

Those who wish to pet and baby wild animals love them, but those who resepct thier natures and wish to let them live normal lives love them more. ~ Edwin Way Teale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 pm 

Awesome man thanks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tell them little stories and ask them what is meant by the story or the message behind it... :idea: