Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sayuri wrote:
okay i got one i enjoy living by. tell me what you think.

"Never rely on something as fleeting as beauty to bring you happiness"

i mean your own beauty btw not like nature. and this doesn't apply only to women! although we can learn more from it...

I think this could also apply to seeing beauty in others, but not seeing past the exterrior, those that try to choose a partner based upon thier appernece. In a relationship looks will only take you so far, and that is not very far at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 pm 

Balance is just another word for war.

Should I leave it like that, or put war first, and balance second? The reason I ask is that with balance first, it suggests that "balance" is not really a good thing - its just another word for war. But if I say "war is just another word for balance (and that is the message that I'm actually trying to send) it means that war (weather symbolic or literal) is often necessary. But it SOUNDS better when I put "balance" in there first.

The logic behind this comparison to balance and war is that if you are not at war, then one side or another has won, and there is no balance. The two are interdependent upon one another.[/quote]

errm i think if your trying to make people see the word 'war' differently then you should put it first. but if your trying to define balance then 'balance' should be first. that's what i think anyway.
do you think war brings balance? is that what the quote's about? im a little slow with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

[quote="Ayroen
Balance is just another word for war.

The logic behind this comparison to balance and war is that if you are not at war, then one side or another has won, and there is no balance. The two are interdependent upon one another.[/quote]

This does not have to follow - Why must people always have to insist on arrogant superior aggressive winning?
You CAN come to negotiate a peace and each side can concede points and learn to live in tolerance of each other.

Nowadays war should NEVER be necessary. We have to learn from the past.

Thirty-six and a half million Europeans died in World War 2.

36,500,000 - just think about that brutally huge number.

I believe balance is far more concerned with equality and fairness and cannot apply to war which is neither.

GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 pm 

Ayroen wrote:
it means that war (weather symbolic or literal) is often necessary.

Don't forget, I said symbolic as well. This could refer to any kind of struggle. I forget who said it, but I think the quote that fits here goes something like "A good compromise leaves everybody angry." Even if you are not literally fighting and killing each other, there could still be another kind of "war". There is nothing arrogant about that. And if I am discussing balance, who's talking about being superior, or winning? Sounds to me like you got a little too emotional about a simple concept.

And by the way, there are about 7 billion people in the world. 36,500,000/7,000,000,000= .0052%. It is a relatively small number. Now consider how many of those Europeans were Nazis? And how many were victims of the holocaust which would have continued, unchecked, were it not for war? The Nazis disrupted the balance, and war was the tool to bring it back.

And with regard to equality and fairness - the two are not the same. Fairness is when you get what you earn/deserve. Equality is what you get just because some one else got it. Equality should never be considered an absolute right, because it simply is not fair. I know that I do not want some drug addict to be considered my equal. Nor do I pretend to be as important as a doctor or a judge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:55 pm 

Sayuri wrote:
do you think war brings balance? is that what the quote's about? im a little slow with this.

War does not bring balance, it IS balance. You only have balance when there is a struggle. It's like this

Before War - No balance (some one has too much power and is abusing it)
War - Balance gained (Others with power step forward to put a stop to it)
After War - Balance Lost (Abusers win, and you have a dictatorship, or the defenders win, and you have a revolution)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes Ayreon I do get very emotional about war but apologise for seeming arrogant.
I was young in that war and my city was bombed. I'm only one of very very many but I grew up watching people coming back to terms with all the horrific results of war and all the years it took to put the damage right - to people's countries and their lives. Many of the troubles still around parts of Europe and Russia stem from actions during and the results of that war.
Yet I still see people so ready to go to war again when diplomacy and world pressure could be applied.
You point out that the number of Europeans who died is a small proportion of the world's population, but, regardless of nationality, that is a huge number ( it actually equates to the whole population of France at the time) and so very, very many were civilians too, they were so many ordinary people.

Yes, I completely agree Hitler had to be stopped, and it seems war was the only way to cope with that then. But that is why I said that nowadays we should not need war, we should never let such a situation grow to that stage.

This is getting way beyond commenting on your quote, - and I accept also that you are using war as a symbolic word.

GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm 

errm i got another one. not sure if ive worded it right. i find it kind of funny <im boasting now sorry>

The right path is always difficult to walk...you keep bumping into people going the other way.

comment on it please! should i change the wording?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I like it, I think it is amusing, but also speaks of truth

Post subject: I Find Regret
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:49 pm 

I find that the things in life that seem, at the time, to be unimportant and pointless, end up being brutally important and have a stabbing, sharp point.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:01 pm 

but what happens when the paradise of man is the hell of which we go through to get to the paradise.

Post subject: My quotes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 pm 

Here's two I came up with:
"Say goodbye to yesterday, and live like no tomorrow."

"It's a wild and crazy secrect code that touches my heart till my feelings explode!"

Post subject: :) my favorite quote
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:16 pm 

i dunno why i like this quote but
it sounds really exquisit(might have spelled that wrong)
kk so its by John Manson Brown

He played the king as if afraid someone else would play the ace.

:) i heard it at my school :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:34 pm 

I'm kind of a pessimist so I came up with this one.

"Expectation inevitably leads to disappointment.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject: Re: I Find Regret
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:03 pm 

Jabberwock wrote:
I find that the things in life that seem, at the time, to be unimportant and pointless, end up being brutally important and have a stabbing, sharp point.

I really enjoyed this quote, most likely because it is so true. :)

Here are a few of mine (I have about . . . ten pages of quotes lol)

"Just remember: when you hit rock bottom, the only thing left to see is the sky above."

"Even the smallest of voices can be heard throughout the entire universe; all it takes is the courage to speak."

"Her demeanor is silent, her manner shy, and her voice, while quiet, is louder than a million voices of a crowd."

One of my personal favorites:

"To create a puzzle, you must first take it apart, make a mess of the pieces, and try a few wrong fits, for only then can you be certain that the final product is exactly what it should be."

"It's not the end of the world, just a tiny portion of it."

"We all need to learn to view things as they are and not try to change them into something we want them to be."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:40 am 

They expect so much from you, yet give you so little. I've been trying not to be one of them all my life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next