Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:00 am 

I recently came across this newspaper clipping, which, from the spot in which I found it, might be 15 or 20 years old, although I'm not sure. Of course, I had managed to cut off the author's name.

The most special part about being with a woman is to hold them. You know, just maybe to touch their hand. To have a friend there and touch their hand at the right moment. Just that. For all the anxiety about the sexual act, it's not what it's made out to be, yet it's so much more than anything one could ever imagine. When you really care about someone. There's nothing that I know of that can touch intimacy. It's more than sex. Sex is something else, I think. But there's intimacy; you can touch someone's toes with your foot. To be that close. Or just touch someone's cheek or feel their breath on your cheek. And look in someone's eyes and know that you're looking at the truth.

Thank you.

Rudy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:49 pm 

It is a little over 16 years old, so you are right in the ballpark.

"There's nothing I know of that can touch intimacy. It's more than sex. Sex is something else, I think. But there's intimacy; you can touch someone's toes with your foot. To be that close. Or just touch someone's cheek or feel their breath on your neck. And look in someone's eyes and know that you're looking at the truth."
~Richard Pryor, Interview magazine, March 1986
http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/76655lin6.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:59 pm 

I had a number of people in mind, but not Richard Pryor. I've got all of his stuff on vinyl, and again on CD; I suppose that's one of several reasons I saved this quote. :!: :o

Thank you. BTW, how did you find the quote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:29 pm 

The Internet search engine "Google" has made me look very smart on so many occasions that I almost hate to give it up as a "trade secret."
I looked for the exact phrase "know that you're looking at the truth" using
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
and I only got one hit.