Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:42 pm 

Hey everyone -

The quote whose author I'm trying to identify is something along the lines of "It's not what he don't/doesn't know that scares me, it's what he does know that just ain't/isn't so."

My serach so far has proved fruitless. (I was thinking Will Rogers, but no luck there.) Mucho thanks for any and all help you can give.

- Gordon Clark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:44 pm 

The great political satirist Will Rogers is reputed to have said in regard to criticism of a prominent politician of his day who was thought of as being ignorant, "It's not what he doesn't know that worries me; it's what he does know that isn't true."
http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:4q ... n&ie=UTF-8

"Great rhetoric, but Gingrich has trouble on the specifics. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, it's not what he doesn't know about the economy that's dangerous; it's what he does know that just ain't so.... "What's mostly missing from Gingrich's book is an analysis of what `winning' would really mean for millions of Americans. There is no mention of declining real wages or the growing gap in incomes and wealth, possibly for fear that raising the subject could fan some Democrats' demands for redistribution. And while he stresses the importance of lifelong learning, he doesn't reconcile this with proposed GOP cuts in federal student loan programs. These are strange deficits from a man who would clearly love to be President someday. Fortunately for the economy, Gingrich probably has time to do more reading and thinking before he ever sweeps into the Oval Office."
~U.S. News & World Report Senior Writer Susan Dentzer reviewing Newt Gingrich's book To Renew America, August 14.
https://secure.mediaresearch.org/news/n ... 50814.html