Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:40 pm 

I find this quote relevent to the times but can't find the author so I can quote it correctly. Anyone know?

He who relinquishes freedom for security, has neither.
Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject: Ike probably said "and"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison. They'll have enough to eat, a bed an[d] a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government.

Dwight D. Eisenhower 12/9/49

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:47 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This thread is certainly appropriate for Flag Day.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."--Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791

"What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance."--Thomas Jefferson

"It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it."--James Madison

"In the United States we value security more than freedom."--Hugh Daniels

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."--George Bernard Shaw, Liberty

More here: http://www.fen.net/quotes/freedom.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
— Patrick Henry

God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it.
— Daniel Webster

If your library is not "unsafe," it probably isn't doing its job.
—John Berry III
Library Journal, October 1999
Editor-In-Chief

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.
— Noam Chomsky

There can be on right of speech where any man…[is] compelled to suppress his honest sentiments.
Equally clear is the right to hear. To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the rights of the hearer as well as those of the speaker."
— Frederick Douglass

What I fear most are affirmative actions of sober and well-intentioned men, granting to government powers to do something that appears to need doing.
— Robert A. Heinlein

It is treason to sacrifice love of truth, intellectual honesty, loyalty to the laws and methods of the mind, to any other interests, including those of one's country.
— Herman Hesse

Regards,
Lou
(loud-mouthed, stiff-necked heir of Patrick Henry)

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:44 pm 

"A thoughful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth."
-Henry Ward Beecher
from The American Flag
http://www.jeannepasero.com/patquotes.htm

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~Benjamin Franklin, in Historical Review of Pennsylvania
www.bartleby.com/100/245.1.html
where there is the following note:
This sentence was much used in the Revolutionary period. It occurs even so early as November, 1755, in an answer by the Assembly of Pennsylvania to the Governor, and forms the motto of Franklin’s “Historical Review,” 1759, appearing also in the body of the work. - Frothingham: Rise of the Republic of the United States, p. 413.

"Those/they/he who that/would can 'give up'/sacrifice liberty/freedom to gain/obtain security/safety deserve/'will lose' neither/both."

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~Benjamin Franklin, in the Penn. Assembly-Reply To Governor, Nov. 11, 1755.