Tis hard to break the tender cord
When love has bound the heart,
“Tis hard, so hard, to speak the words,
“We must forever part.”
Dearest loved one we must lay thee
In the peaceful, grave’s embrace,
But thy memory will be cherished,
Til we see thy heavenly face.

I can't find the original location of this quotation.
I can find MANY instances of it's use,
But NO ATTRIBUTION.

Mitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:22 am 

I couldn't find a source on this but it was common practice for people to inscribe a gravestone epitaph. Many are passed down through time and the originator is long forgotten. Some may have ben composed by the family of the deceased. If you walk through an old cemetery, you will see many of these; some are just one-liners. The phrasing in this one appears to be from the 1700s or early 1800s. The practice has fallen out of favor in modern times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:32 pm 

I actually saw this quote today on a gravestone however it only had the first two lines. The scared poem was located in a graveyard located in Moroni Utah that dates back to the 1800's. United States of America for the ones that are oversea's. The gravestone was very artistic with a curtain or veil draped over two arms holding hands. The surrounding area appeared to be an early European settlement mainly from England and Denmark. I only had a short time to visit so I wasn't able to get more in depth with the history of the town. From what I saw, there were historic town plaques that mentioned that Indians massacred a lot of the settlers and travlers and stole (maybe released) the farmed animals. Culture conflicts basically. Who knows what they were thinking back then. There was also a family named Draper in the graveyard and there is a city named Draper about an hour or more away heading West. Near Salt Lake City. Tender cord may or may not refer to a braided rope (ties between two individuals symbolically), splitting a cord (measurement) of wood with an axe (1800's hardship symbolism) and/or a sorrowful sound (tightness in the throat). There was also another gravestone near by that had braided rope shaped in L upsideddown (suspected stonemason or freemasonry square). The symbolism of the veil over the hands may also relate back to the Church of Latter Day Saints (unconfirmed) and possibly secret societies, other religious rituls of the afterlife. I also found another historical reference called "Early Home of Abraham Lincoln"

All in all it appears to be a scared poem and has to do with spirituality. Your reference with the extra two lines is darker and may be the reason why it was excluded on the grave I witnessed. With the last two lines removed, it could also be Aphoristic maybe? New words to me.

I hope that is helpful. Let me know what you find.

-Valoy

Last edited by valoyspoerl on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:45 pm 

I found another reference on the World Wide Web

Tis hard to break the tender cord
When love has bound the heart,
Tis hard, so hard to speak the words
We must forever part.

Dearest loved one we must lay thee,
In the peaceful grave's embrace,
But thy memory will be cherished,
Till we see thy heavenly face.