Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 pm 

... is like having a "no pissing" section in a swimming pool.

My recollection (which may be incorrect) is that Derek Davies, the late editor of the Far Eastern Economic Review, used the line in a speech, but, despite numerous google searches over the years, I've been unable to link Davies to the quote or to identify the originator of the quote.

Aloha,
DanHawaii

Post subject: no peeing
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:22 am 

Dan,

Not an answer to your question, but it reminds me of the sign that says, "We don't swim in your toilet, so please don't pee in our pool."

Janio

Post subject: No Smoking Sign
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:39 am 

This reply is not directly at the quote but the topic is germain because of a statement made to me this morning. I live in a Canadian Province where smoking is all but outlawed and definitively incorrect in social circles. I am 65 have been smoking since I was 16 when I joined the Army (Lied about my age). In any event, I went into a corner store and requested my usual order for a carton of the coffin nails and the clerk asked me if I wanted it in a bag.
Of course I declined but thought about it as I was driving home that; there was a time when you purchased a bottle of liquor but put it into a brown paper bag so as to make it less conspicuous. Then of course the ubiquitous statement on adult store advertisements or recent internet sales of "adult" material where they guarantee that the purchase will be sent to you in a plain brown paper container. So that is how I felt we had come to in a country where we also hold the mandate of free speech and expression sacred. I had purchased a very legal product yet the clerk was compelled to ask "If I wanted it in a bag". Unpleasant comments come to mind about political correctness.