Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: stats analysis
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm really enjoying the lively activity on this forum lately, but I think we regulars should do more to encourage newcomers. We have 7 regulars who dominate the forum; after that, 2 users have posted 5 times; 4 have posted 4 times; 3 have posted 3 times; and 30 have posted 2 times. 128 members have posted at least once, but 119 have not posted at all.

Recently, I failed to seize the opportunity to welcome a new member when he/she said "I'm new here." I haven't been able to find the post again, but I should have said "Welcome aboard" or something inviting. I think those among us who post regularly should reply with welcoming mesages to newcomers to encourage them to get into the fray and help them into the ongoing conversations in the threads.

What do you all think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, 81 members with only one post. It's pretty typical for people to drop in with a question, get an answer, and then wander off, and that's OK - those people likely aren't as interested in quotations as the regulars here and just needed an answer for homework or research.

We can't expect every poster to become a regular visitor, but I would certainly appreciate any help making new people feel welcome. (By and large, I think they do.)

I am continually amazed at the number of people who register and never post. I always thought requiring registration, and a valid email address, would discourage posting to some degree, but instead people leap at the opportunity to register even if they have nothing to say. Some sort of desire to belong, I suppose.

I have a few ideas that might draw people into the forum a bit more, starting with an occasional "quiz" something like the lyric one that's been ongoing in the Who Said That forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've seen the same thing on our board at work -- tons of registrants, but only a small percent of those post. Before we required registration to post, we had a lot of "out of line" comments; registration has definitely encouraged more civil threads.

I agree that not every registrant needs to post or post regularly. (Then we would have the opposite problem of overwhelming traffic.) But I've often seen "Hi, I'm new here" comments that never receive a response, often because there's no question about a quotation attached. I've missed a lot of these opportunities to welcome a new member myself, so I'm going to make a point to start saying "Howdy, neighbor."

I LOVE your idea of occasional quizzes, like the lyrics thread Lou de Torres started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:33 am 

It should come as no surprise that I love doing this. Since I got into this a couple years ago I have received many emails of profuse thanks for finding something that they had been looking for "for years" or could only just remember a snippet of (and even that snippet is often times wrong).

I have become so dedicated to helping people out that I must confess I am addicted to it. I am absolutely relentless in the quest for an answer, or something close that fits, and have gotten so good at it that it really doesn't take much time to find them. I even sometimes can't help from rubbing it in by saying "this only took 15 seconds to find on the Internet."
Actually, it's been a while since I've done that.
Over on that other quotation website we sometimes think to welcome a newcomer, but most of the time don't. It really depends on what the person has said in their post.
I also do not like to see a question go unanswered, even if it is just to say "I tried." But, I just scanned all the requests on "Who Said This" and found at least 7 that have no replies, including the one that Luna may be referring to:

Posted: Sat May 04, 2002 2:14 pm
Post subject: hello Everybody!!
Hello EB!
I'm new here , hope u all will welcome me
Hmm can we talk something else other than quotations ?
U'll be highly appreciated !
Thanx
Huda
http://www.quotationspage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

I could have directed her to the Fluff Forum where it is clearly stated that anything goes. But didn't. I feel sort of guilty now, because this person went out their way to ask to be welcomed. I see they posted 4 times, but I don't see a way to "see all posts" by an individual, so I don't know what else they posted.

Anywise, I digress.
I think Luna has done a service to point this out and I will try to remember this in the future.
I feel a need to say one more thing, though. I have a bit of a reputation on that other website of giving very thorough replies that clearly demonstrate that I went to at least a little bit of trouble to find the appropriate information that someone was looking for. I usually feel that this action, in and of itself, should make someone feel welcome and that we are here to help and to serve, and even have some fun.
I also have a personal policy I've had to adopt to "check my attitude at the door." I am far from perfect adherence to it, though, because I have been known to lose patience or even display some pomposity.
As with all things, I am still a work in progress.

In the works of man as in those of nature, it is the intention which is chiefly worth studying.
~Goethe
http://www.futurehealth.org/qintention.htm

Last edited by thenostromo on Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:52 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

And what a fine work in progress you are, my friend, and what a perfect quotation from Goethe. I identify completely.

You have quite a reputation for being thorough on this Web site, too. If I don't say so enough, I really appreciate all you contribute to this forum. Your indefatigable energy to pursue all answers amazes me -- what a gift.

In your search, you found exactly the kind of post I'm talking about, and I hadn't thought about it, but the suggestion to point to the fluff forum was excellent.

To find all posts by a member:
Click on the member's username either from a post or the memberlist. On the right side, you will see a panel "All about so-and-do." Beneath that are the join date and total posts. The total posts section gives percentage of total forum posts and daily average posts for this user, then right under that you'll see "Find all posts by [this username]." Click there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:05 am 

That's another thing. I have discovered I do have a slight knack for finding very appropriate qoutes for just about any occasion. I catch myself bristling when I provide what I think are great quotes and I'll see a reply "those are good, but not quite what I'm looking for."
I think, "oh, we've gotta tough crowd tonight!" It usually just sends me out on another search.
I also was amazed at how that Goethe quote just fit right in with what I was trying to say.
Luna, I appreciate your kind remarks very much. Thank you. :)
And may I return the compliment. I admire your dedication to this website. Your contributions and participation are an essential part of its success.
p.s. about my remark about being thorough on that "other quotation website." There are several regulars over there that are much more thorough than I am. I just thought I needed to make that clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I certainly appreciate you both on this forum. And a great answer to a question is certainly an adequate welcome in itself... Especially with some of the difficult questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Let me see if I have some change in my pocket ...yes, I have a JFK .50 cent coin (1971) and 7 copper pennies. The JFK goes into my piggy bank and I will put two cents in the forum here.

I think that a lot of would be posters may not feel comfortable (or a bit intimidated) by the intellectual standards that this forum enjoys. I also feel that the younger people are reluctant to participate with some of the older people (like myself). My attained age is 45. That may be young by the standards of people older than myself but 45 equates to GEEZER to college aged kids. My son will be attending college in 2003. He does not realize that I can think on his level but he has difficulty thinking on my level. When I was 17 all I wanted was to get out of the house (away from my parents) so I could enjoy the liberty of independence.

As I stated earlier, I am not known for my diligent research but I enjoy reading most topics and participating in others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heh, I'm 33 and, judging by the survey results, quite old by the standards of the average visitor to this site.

There's always going to be a dichotomy here - on the one side we have the slightly older, or at least more educated, intelligent, literary-minded (and good-looking!) folks who are fascinated by quotations. On the other side we have high-school students who are working on homework, looking for a 'senior quote', or just hopelessly bored.

I welcome both - my hope is that some small percentage of those in the high-school category will be influenced by this site enough to some day wind up in the 'older and wiser' category. This includes myself - I was a bored high-school student when I started what would eventually become this site 16 years ago. I'm older now and still working on wiser.

P.S. Your unique perspective is at least as valuable as diligent research, keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:44 am 

Hey, I just want to say, I absolutly love the responses that i get from you guys, they help me out so much, I only wish that I could post the same calabre answers. Maybe some day, (being as I am only 17 I have many years to work on it) :roll:

And i really appriciate how you guys will still talk to me after I get things wrong, or ask totally obvious questions. How can anyone be intimidated by you guys..you are just so darn cute!

keep up the wicked work!

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:32 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Rexxy, your posts are so bright and interesting, and you seem so interested in others, I would never have guessed you are "only" 17. Definitely pegged you as in college or early 20s. Not that I'm surprised (and delighted) there are bright 17-year-olds in the world, but you seem wise beyond your years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:46 pm 

HEYHEYTHERE, all you designated "regulars",

I'm "new" here as well, as I joined yesterday and have put forth one contribution thus far... I hope it's kosher that I'm postine in this forum, which (as far as I can see) had only been contributed unto by those who are of veteran status.... :wink: Well, some day I'll be on that list as well...
SO, as I am new, (but have READ quite a few postings from different people - very intriguing...) I guess I have nothing else to say.
I pray acceptance from all of you and that I will not be met with no or empty replies shunning me!
:wink: ç
Wow.
I'll CHAT later! :P

Salût!

%*MUSIC is well said to be the SPEECH of ANGELS*%
(-Thomas Carlyle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, everyone is welcome even though the regulars spend more time here than most!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:42 pm 

Kudos to what everyone else has said. I enjoy helping people find what they need even though I may not always be on target. It's a lot of fun and keeps me stimulated. There's a lot of talent in this forum and everyone has their own little specialty or area of expertise that fits in nicely.

Hey, forget about the age thing! :mrgreen: It's only a number. I found this very mature, insightful post on another site by a 17 year old. You never stop learning or stop being amazed by people:

A lot of people complain that life is difficult and unfair. Well you know what? It is difficult and it is unfair. It will always be like that. There is nothing that you or anybody else can do to change it. Yes, there will be problems in your life. Yes, you are going to get hurt sooner or later. Yes, you are going to feel like giving up altogether. That is a part of life. You need to realize that these things are going to happen and do something about it. Don't waste your time on feeling bad for yourself or looking for others to pity you. Everybody goes through it. Take the time to learn from these situations. It's going to be hard, no doubt about it. But, there will be people there to help you get through. That's what your friends are for. Look to them and look to your inner self. You will find the strength. It will take a while, it's not all going to happen at once. Keep telling yourself that you are going to get through to tomorrow. Because you will. And that, is a promise.

- Jessica Landis, 17