Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Olivia Newton John ...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

... will be singing in Jackson, Tennessee, on Monday, November 3rd, at the Carl Perkins Civic Center. It is a benefit concert and is sponsored by The Jackson Symphony Association. I bought 4 tickets :D

http://www.onlyolivia.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It was reported that the November 3rd concert at the Carl Perkins Civic Center was a sellout with 2,200 people in attendance.

The civic center has a balcony that seats almost 1000 people. The first floor was facilitated with dinning tables. The tables on rows A through G included a catered meal. The price for a seat on row G was $120.00 per peson. The price for a seat on row A cost $250.00 per person. The tickets that I purchased were on row I, seats 5,6,7,8. (Our tickets cost $40.00 per person.) Unfortunately our table was not supplied with a table cloth and I was somewhat slighted by the implication of being a second class citizen. The dress code was formal. Men wore dinner jackets. Women wore long dresses. People in the balcony were dressed in casual clothing. I did not wear a dinner jacket but I was dressed in a black, long sleeved shirt, copper slacks and black dress shoes. The Queen wore a long, royal blue, dinner dress. We arrived at 6:30. Our guest arrived at 7:30. The Queen had prepared a tray of cheese & crackers and also a vegetable tray. There was no meat on our table and I had specifically requested cold cuts of roast beef or ham. My diet does not allow the consumption of crackers or carrots but I ate my fill of cheese, celery and radishes. Fortunatley, we had a bottle of wine and four glasses. :D

The Jackson Symphony began playing at 8:00 p.m. I especially enjoyed the music from Lord of the Rings. There was an intermission at 8:30 and Oliva took the stage at 9:00 p.m. She opened her act with "Magic" and the song had a dramatic and emotional effect. She looked much taller than she appears in her photos. I was not close enough to see much detail. The longer the concert progressed the less I enjoyed it. It was not that the concert was not good but it was so polished and well rehearsed I felt it was a bit too formal. I enjoyed Xanadu and a couple of other songs. The crowd seemed pleased and I heard no complaints. I guess it was the absence of a table cloth that put me in disenchanted posture. :|

It was almost 10:30 when we left the Civic Center.