Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Back from Nova Scotia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It had been almost 11 months since I had been on a vacation. On September 5th I flew out of Memphis to Newark Airport. I was able to see the sky scrapers of New York City for the first time in my life. The city is also quite visible from the Newark Airport though I could not determine the distance (perhaps 5 miles). I then flew to Halifax Nova Scotia. The meals on the airplane were quite tasty but the flight attendant was not too flirty. :roll: All my luggage arrived intact. 8) I saw a Jesuit priest at the airport.

On 9-6-03 I departed from Halifax with my guide (by truck) to a bear camp on the Saint Mary's river (near Shearbrooke Village). Nova Scotia is a beautiful province and the weather was "about right" (50 degrees).

On Sunday, 9-7-03, I canoed (solo) on the Saint Mary's River (about 5 kilometers [3-miles]). The guide had loaned me his Coleman, Ram-X 15, canoe and picked me up at the end of my float. :D The Saint Mary's River is famous for Atlantic salmon but the fishing season closed at the end of August.

On Monday, 9-8-03, I capped my third black bear. It was a male (boar) that weighed approximately 250 pounds. The cape was almost 6'X6'. :mrgreen: I named him Black Robe.

There were two hunters in camp (including myself) and one guide and the guide's wife cooked our meals. The routine of camp was really quite comfortable. During the week I enjoyed some hiking and rode a Honda 250 ATV through the countryside. We drank Canadian beer and some Candian Club whiskey. We also had Canadian Bacon more than once. The meat of the bear was really quite good! I purchased silver dollars and brought back several $2.00 coins (toonies) for my family and friends. I also purchased two Canadian Flags to give to my kids. I bought my wife a coffee mug. We also toured Shearbrooke Village.

Everything went well by the numbers and I am happy to be home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:36 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Wonderful to hear of your adventures, and good to have you back! See you on the boards. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:16 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

http://www.outdoorsite.com/igallery/ind ... 7702059375