Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:51 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Mariantionett has just attained the rank of Quote Master. We certainly appreciate her contributions and involment in the forums.

Welcome to the QM club!

Post subject: We sure do
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:56 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Bravo, Bravo. We hope to see many more! Are you know the first feminine quotemaster? 8) Bravo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:16 pm 

Congratulations, Madame. In time, I hope to establish myself as such a valuable member. You honor has been well-earned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:01 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Your right, more contributors! I just realised something, I passed 200 some time ago. So that means I can now change my title to "whatever I want to". Any suggestions anybody? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:07 pm 

Congrats!
I think Luna was the first female QuoteMaster here.
http://www.quotationspage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:23 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Where is Luna anyways? She hasn't bee on the boards for quite some time...
Anybody know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congrats Mariantionette!

If you'd prefer I changed your title to "QuoteMistress", let me know. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Greetings and happy wishes to all QP friends, old and new!

Thenostromo alerted me that an APB was out for my whereabouts, and thanks for the interest. My lame excuse: for the past few months I've been slammed at work and home -- one of those "one damned thing after another" cycles we all find ourselves in from time to time, with little time for rest and recreation. You know what I mean.

However, the unexpected discussion of "first female quotemaster" did get me thinking about the issue of gender online. (And btw, before I pontificate further, I believe rogue insomniac would be #2 for this distinction.)

Anyway, I had never thought much about gender on this forum before, but in cyberspace, where people are known by their usernames and there is no audio, how do you know who's male or female? Or gay or straight? I suppose there are giveaway names like MarieAntoinette's (excellent, most clever username for a lass from Scotland, btw, MA), Mr. Fussbudget (my all time fav) and greekboy. (And of course, these aren't necessarily dead giveaways -- we only have to look at the Lady Chablis.)

But what about hockeyfan, swimfan, rogue insomniac, figby, mgm, i_heart_jesus, etc.? Unless the person mentions in a post, "When I was a little boy/girl" or something of the sort, what tells us the poster is man or woman? What are the clues in the message's content that make the poster seem like a him or her?

Those of you who *know* me, or more accurately, know me as Luna on the QP forum, are familiar with my fascination for the mystery of the online persona, the person known only by username and what he/she chooses to say. Gender is part of that intrigue, as are age, race, occupation, even physical attributes such as height, weight.

Here in this forum, we all imagine what each other is like based on what our posts say, and I adore this mystery. Some people like to meet their online friends in real life, but I've shied away from this myself, fearing I'll ruin the mystique of knowing people only by what they say. One of my favorite things about the Internet is that it offers the possibility of pure intellectual discussion free of stereotypical bias. Or is that an illusion?

As for my continued presence here in this forum: the way things are going right now, it's hard to keep up. But when there's an end in sight to the chaos in my life, rest assured that, to quote Ahn-old's oft-used line from many films, "I'll be back."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:33 pm 

Heartfelt congratulations to you! You deserve it. Your responses lend great class to these forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Luna is the First Lady of QP but theono is the King Pin. In 2002 the two of them were racing at one point. Theno called it a horse race and I chimed in to say that it was likened to the Kentucky Derby.

( I just saw the history of Sea Biscuit on public televison last week. It was an incredible story.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:29 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Mariantionette- "I believe I just made history (correction necessary if wrong) on Quoteland"

Lol, you mean Quotationspage right? Congratulations, on achieving Quotemistress, keep it up, I'm sure you make a wonderful contribution here, I've only had a time to read a few of your posts so far, but what I have read has been excellent.

-fish are quick!